Migration regulations are a subject to change, therefore it is always useful to check at the Lithuanian embassy or consulate about what type of visa is needed. Updated information about the required documents and procedures is also available on Internet site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or Lithuanian Migration Department. Depending on the citizenship and length of stay in Lithuania, one may be able to enter Lithuania without a visa.
Students from EU or EFTA do not need a visa to enter the Republic of Lithuania. They can come and stay in Lithuania for 3 months. After that, they have to apply for the Certificate (of the form established by the Minister of the Interior) signifying their right to temporarily reside in Lithuania at the local migration office.
Documents to be submitted for a Certificate:
- Valid travel document;
- Completed form of application;
- Document confirming that you are accepted at KVK;
- Bank statement confirming that you have enough funds during your stay in LT;
- Health insurance;
- Payment of 8,60 EUROS.
Non-EU students (degree seeking or EU exchange programme (Erasmus+) lasting more than 3 months participants) need a National multiple entry D type visa in order to arrive to Lithuania.
They have to apply for it at the closest Embassy of Lithuania before arrival. Students with National D-type visas can reside in Lithuania for up to 12 months and can travel to other Schengen countries (for up to 90 days in total).
Therefore, if student is staying longer (full degree studies) 4-5 months before the expiration of visa D, students have to apply for a Temporary Residence Permit (TRP) (valid for 1 or 2 years depending on student’s subsistence). 2-3 months before the expiration of TRP students have to apply for a TRP renewal.
Documents to be submitted for a D type visa:
- Application form;
- A valid travel document;
- 1 colour photograph (35×45 mm);
- A mediation document number from KVK;
- Bank statement confirming that you have sufficient amount of money to live in Lithuania (304 Eur per month = 3648 Eur per year + 555 Eur for travel expenses);
- Health Insurance (valid in all Schengen countries till the expiration date of requested visa) for at least 30000 Eur;
- You are exempt from the fee.
A decision on issuing a national visa is made within 15 days. More information can be found here.
Documents to be submitted for TRP issuing:
You must first submit an application for an issue of a temporary residence permit electronically through the Lithuanian Migration Information System (MIGRIS). You can see how to fill in the application form in this video.
After submitting the application and booking an appointment through MIGRIS, you must submit the biometric data and the following documents in person within 4 months from the date of submission of the application to MIGRIS:
- An application number (after submitting the application form using Lithuanian migration information system (MIGRIS));
- A valid travel document;
- A temporary residence permit (if you wish to replace it);
- 1 photograph (40×60 mm);
- A mediation letter number from KVK;
- A document regarding a sufficient amount of subsistence funds – bank statement confirming that you have sufficient amount of money to live in Lithuania (304 Eur per month = 3648 Eur per year);
- A residence document in Lithuania;
- A certificate regarding (the absence of) a criminal record;
- A document regarding health insurance (the insurance amount comprises EUR 5792.4);
- A list of trips and residence in foreign states;
- A document confirming the legal stay, if you submit the application while staying in Lithuania.
You have to pay the state fees (except cases when the person is released from the obligation of paying the fee):
- in accordance with the general procedure – EUR 120;
- urgently – EUR 240;
For the issuance of the document, you must contact territorial division of the Migration departament (Kauno g. 6, Klaipėda).
Decisions on TRP are made:
- for the issue of permit:
- in accordance with the general procedure – within 3 months;
- urgently – within 45 calendar days;
- for changing the permit:
- in accordance with the general procedure – within 2 months;
- urgently – within 1 month.
After receiving information that the decision to issue a TRP is taken, the student must:
- Apply for formalization of TRP in Migration Office in order to get Temporary residence card;
- Declare the living place at the local Office of the Municipality if it is not done already at the Migration Office;
- Timely apply for renewal of TRP (not later than 2 months before expiry of the current one).
More information for TRP can be found here.
Before arrival to Lithuania, please check if you are required to obtain visa to enter Lithuania. You can do it here External website
Last updated: 2020-11-12